Mental Health and Music Therapy
Music Therapy and mental health is an area in which a Music Therapist may work with an individual in a psychodynamic way to address problems rooted in the clients past; with the medium for communication being predominantly improvised music. Group work can be beneficial as a means of exploring relationships, reducing social isolation and facilitating a greater self-understanding. There have been a number of studies that reflect on music therapy being beneficial with people living with Schizophrenia, Depression and PTSD amongst other pathology.
Music therapists are not music entertainers, such as orchestral musicians. If a service user attends music therapy in any security hospital, centre, clinic or community setting, they are requesting engagement, showing intent and looking to explore their lives differently. Music therapy in mental health supports service users psychologically and it is undertaken within a psychodynamic framework which enables clients to explore and understand how they are feeling, as well as to learn how music can be used to express themselves, relax and increase wellbeing.
HERE ARE SOME AREAS WHERE MUSIC THERAPY CAN HELP WHERE MENTAL HEALTH IS CONCERNED.
- Encouraging clients to express themselves creatively.
- Helping clients feel more motivated.
- Developing social and communication skills.
- Gain a greater awareness of self and of self in relation to others.
- Build and strengthen self-esteem and self worth.
- Empower the client to becoming more confident in making choices and decisions in their daily lives.
- Provide a secure and accepting environment, where positive change can take place.
PLACES/SETTINGS THAT BENEFIT FROM MUSIC THERAPY
- Hospital Wards
- Care homes for the elderly
- Schools, mainstream/specialist
- Private healthcare settings for Physical/Learning disability
- Private homes
- Council run support settings
We service clients across the North West of England and have bases in the City of Liverpool and the Wirral. If you have an enquiry, please feel free to contact us from the details below.